Verbal Question of the Day: 46
OUT OF CONTEXT
Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
- Shanghai in the 1930’s has been widely shown to have had smoke filled nightclubs, back alley gambling houses, and dark, seedy opium dens, all frequented by Chinese mobsters, Russian emigres and at least one gorgeous femme fatale with a past.
- Though the book shows signs of being exhaustively researched, much of the material, by the author’s own admission, has been freely embroidered.
- “City of Devils”, a new narrative history of the city, is not likely to clear matters up.
- Just how much of Shanghai’s notorious reputation is historical fact and how much is Hollywood fantasy is hard to say.
- “City of Devils” is based on real people and real events, but because of the sub-rosa nature of the episodes described, “assumptions have been made”.
Please Note: The answer to this question will be posted tomorrow morning as a comment below.